'Safe Ride' for Oxford students to kick off Jan. 21
OXFORD, Miss. (AP) — Students who overindulge will soon have a free option to get back to campus with Oxford-University Transit's new Safe Ride route.
The Oxford Eagle reports (http://bit.ly/1U0eI4k) the route will run from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. Thursdays and 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. on Saturdays beginning Jan. 21.
Students had been operating a bus on busy weekends, however city and university officials felt a regular route with a solid financial backing would help increase ridership.
The route will cost about $30,000 a year, and the city and university will share the cost until October. After Oct. 1, the route would fall under the Mississippi Department of Transportation grant given each year which pays for 80 percent of operational costs. The city and university would then split the remaining 20 percent.
Information from: Oxford Eagle, http://www.oxfordeagle.com
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.