Giant fire damages Loras College residence hall
DUBUQUE, Iowa (AP) — An early morning fire at a Dubuque college severely damaged a residence hall.
The fire early Wednesday at Visitation Hall on the Loras College campus sent flames high into the air.
Dubuque Fire Chief Rick Steines tells the Telegraph Herald (http://bit.ly/1R2GoTS) that a police officer noticed sparks on the building's cupola about 5 a.m., leading the building to be evacuated.
No injuries have been reported.
The building was significantly damaged, with much of the roof collapsed.
Steines says it's likely the fire was caused by a lightning strike.
Loras is a Catholic college with an enrollment of about 1,600 students.
Information from: Telegraph Herald, http://www.thonline.com
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.