(Dallas) – Twenty-five years ago, Dallas businessman Mike Myers established the LeCroy Scholarship for high-achieving students enrolled in the Dallas County Community College District – students who personify the leadership, community involvement and spirit of Myers’ late friend, former DCCCD Chancellor R. Jan LeCroy. Since then, Myer’s tribute to LeCroy’s legacy continues through the inspiring stories and accomplishments of past and current recipients of this annual scholarship.
This year’s honorees are no exception. Those individuals, who are campus leaders among the seven colleges in the DCCCD system, also serve as role models for their peers, volunteers in their communities and organizers who work to serve others.
They have inspired other students, as well as DCCCD faculty, staff and administrators; as a result, eight students have been named 2015-16 LeCroy Scholarship recipients by the DCCCD Foundation for their outstanding leadership and academic achievements.
Students selected as LeCroy Scholars receive full tuition and books for up to six semesters. All recipients attend any of the seven colleges in the DCCCD system: Brookhaven, Cedar Valley, Eastfield, El Centro, Mountain View, North Lake or Richland.
Myers established the LeCroy scholarship in 1988 to honor the former chancellor, who passed away in 2013. LeCroy served as DCCCD’s chancellor from 1981 to 1988. The program was the first major student recognition and incentive scholarship created for DCCCD, and the first awards were made to students in 1990.
Myers, who currently serves as chairman and president of Myers Financial Corp., continues to carry on his personal involvement with the program, along with Nancy LeCroy (wife of the late Jan LeCroy). They interview finalists and help with the selection of the scholarship recipients, as well as personally mentoring those students throughout the year – providing valuable insight and advice to help LeCroy Scholars succeed in school and in their communities. Myers and Nancy LeCroy host several activities throughout the year that provide opportunities for scholars to network with other recipients, including a yearly gathering of former and current LeCroy Scholars.
The 2015-16 scholarship recipients, the colleges they attend and their chosen fields of study are:
- Andrea Carrizales of Mesquite, Eastfield College, human rights;
- Cesar Castellanos of Dallas, North Lake College, biology;
- Sofia Correa of Irving, El Centro College, nursing;
- Cristal Herrera of Irving, North Lake College, nursing;
- Myka Morehead of Hearne, Texas, Eastfield College, kinesiology;
- Praveen Ramarao of Irving, North Lake College, political science;
- Caleb Thibodeaux of Flower Mound, North Lake College, economics; and
- Carolina Wilkins of Dallas, Brookhaven College, business.
Three DCCCD students who are returning LeCroy Scholars for 2015-16 include:
- Michael Heggie of Garland, Eastfield College, psychology;
- Rachel Quiroga Hugo of Dallas, Eastfield College, nursing; and
- Brian Weidinger of Rowlett; Richland College, business
For more information, contact Kathye Hammontree in the DCCCD Foundation office by phone at 214-378-1536 or by email at email@example.com.