ATLANTA -- UCB, Inc. announced 40 recipients of the 2016 UCB Family Epilepsy Scholarship, recognizing outstanding individuals affected by epilepsy who are pursuing higher education as part of their effort to achieve their dreams and goals. Epilepsy is a chronic neurological condition affecting approximately three million people in the U.S. and 40 million people worldwide.
Over the past 12 years, UCB has awarded nearly 400 hundred scholarships totaling $1.9 million to people whose lives have been directly affected by epilepsy. This includes not only those living with epilepsy, but also their family members and others involved in their care, who are critically important partners in successfully managing epilepsy.
"We are excited to have the extraordinary opportunity to help motivated and outstanding students from across the nation achieve their academic goals," said Simon Lucas, head of UCB's U.S. Neurology Patient Value Unit. "We look forward to seeing how these students will continue to spread epilepsy awareness in their communities of higher education."
A committee of healthcare professionals and EpilepsyAdvocates™ selected this year's 40 recipients from more than 500 applications based on personal excellence, community achievements and determination to overcome seizures that interrupt daily life. Recipients received scholarships of $5,000 to use toward tuition to pursue higher education in undergraduate or graduate programs, or technical school.
This year, two of the scholarship recipients received $10,000 Epilepsy Leader Scholarships, honoring the late Sandra Helmers, M.D., M.P.H. and the late John M. Pellock, M.D., trailblazers in epilepsy research and treatment and members of the UCB Family Epilepsy Scholarship selection committee who both passed away earlier this year. Dr. Helmers was Professor of Neurology at Emory University School of Medicine and worked closely with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Managing Epilepsy Well Network. Dr. Pellock was Chairman of the Division of Pediatric Neurology at Virginia Commonwealth University, where he focused his work on advocacy and civil rights for all people living with epilepsy and seizures, especially children.
2016 Scholarship Recipients and their Selected Learning Institutions:
- Erin A. -- Christian Brothers University
- José A. -- Eastfield College
- Luke B. -- Midway University
- Kaitlyn B. -- Palo Alto College
- Austin B. -- Richard Bland College
- Jenna C. -- Texas A&M University
- Jessica C. -- Antigua College International
- Tara C. -- Kilgore College
- Crystal C. -- Vaughn College of Aeronautics and Technology
- Ciara C. -- University of South Florida
- Matthew D. -- University of Florida
- Sarah D. -- University of Minnesota-Crookston
- Ebelin D. -- Shippensburg University
- Kris F. -- Hudson Valley Community College
- Ellie F. -- University of Houston-Clear Lake
- John G. -- Georgia Institute of Technology
- José G. -- Arizona State University
- Sara G. -- Bentley University
- Olivia G. -- Columbus State University
- McKinley H. -- The George Washington University
- Lexi H. -- College of Coastal Georgia
- Kaitlin I. -- Gettysburg College
- Emily J. -- Stephen F. Austin State University
- Anne Marie K. -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Madison L. -- Gardner-Webb University
- Anna M. -- University of New Hampshire
- Joy M. -- Florida State University
- Matthew M. -- Western Governors University
- Megan M. -- Nevada State College
- Jamisen M. -- University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Jayaji M. -- New York Medical College
- Mariana P. -- Santa Clara University
- Cole P. -- Texas Tech University
- Tiffany P. -- University of the District of Columbia
- Emily R. -- University of Connecticut
- Hannah R. -- Beloit College
- Gianna S. -- Farmingdale State College
- Kelsey S. -- The University of Texas at Tyler
- Laura S. -- Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
- Derek V. -- Arizona State University
2017 Scholarship Online Application will be Available on November 28, 2016
For more information about applying for the 2017 UCB Family Epilepsy Scholarship Program™, please visit www.ucbepilepsyscholarship.com.